The Smiths were originally coal miners from Midlothian who moved to East Lothian and for most of the 19th century they lived in or near the parish of Gladsmuir.
All their children with very few exceptions were named using the traditional Scottish naming convention.
- The first son was given the name of his paternal grandfather.
- The second son was given the name of his maternal grandfather.
- The third son was given the name of his father.
- The first daughter was given the name of her maternal grandmother.
- The second daughter was given the name of her paternal grandmother.
- The third daughter was given the name of her mother.
Below are links to the pages that are relevant to the Smiths
- Robert Smith
- James Smith 1787-1867
- James Smith 1818-1881
- Robert Smith 1842-1923
- Andrew Brash Smith 1879-1952
- Robert William Smith 1917-2003